Custom Home Building in Goldsboro North Carolina
I Build Custom Homes in All Price Ranges
- You can pick your lot, floor plan, features and all of the other details about your new home
- I have access to affordable building lots in many areas around Goldsboro / Wayne County NC
- I have many house plans to choose from or bring your own house plans
- Home plan design services available
Isn't custom home building expensive and stressful?
Having a home custom built to your specifications doesn't have to be expensive or stressful. It really depends on the builder you hire to build your home and how well they handle the sale transaction and the construction process.
The most important thing that keeps the custom home building process from becoming stressful is a good, detailed construction specification sheet. A construction specification sheet lays out in detail exactly what is included in the price of the home and what is not. Having a clear understanding up front of exactly what is included and what is not prevents confusion and hard feelings later in the process.
The second most important thing that keeps the custom home building process stress-free is the proper use of change orders. Change orders are used when the home owner / buyer wants to add something to the home that was not originally included in the price or construction specifications.
Unfortunately, the process often goes something like this:
- Buyer: We'd like to add a circular driveway; can you do that?
- Builder: Sure, I can do that.
- Builder adds the circular driveway.
- Buyer and Builder get to closing.
- Builder: Thanks for hiring me to built your home. By the way, you owe me an additional $6,000 for the circular driveway.
- Buyer: If I had known it was going to cost that much, I wouldn't have done it. You should have told us what it would cost. We're not paying for it.
- Builder: You asked me to add it and should have known it wouldn't be cheap. If you don't pay for it, you're not getting the home.
- Buyer and Builder now have a serious problem.
The process should go more like this:
- Buyers: We'd like to add a circular driveway; can you do that?
- Builder: Sure, I can do that. Let me figure out how much it will cost.
- Builder: The circular driveway is going to cost $6,000. Do you want to add it?
- Buyers: That's a little out our budget, is there any way to reduce the cost?
- Builder: Sure, we could make it a little narrower and make the circle a little smaller. That would only cost $4,500.
- Buyers: We can live with that. Go ahead with it.
- Builder prepares a change order describing the driveway to be added that it will cost $4,500. Both the builder and the buyer sign the change order and they both keep a copy.
- Builder adds the circular driveway.
- Buyer and Builder get to closing and everyone is happy. If any confusion arises, both parties have a signed document to refer back to.
Why Should I Hire a General Contractor to Build My Home?
Some people think that by building their home themselves without using a general contractor they can save the money that the contractor would have made. This usually doesn't work. Most people who attempt this don't end up saving any money and many end up spending even more. There are several reasons for this.
- As a professional home builder / general contractor who buys large quantities of materials from suppliers on a regular basis, I can buy materials for much less than an individual who is building only one house can.
- As a home builder / general contractor who hires subcontractors on a regular basis, I can hire them for less than an individual who is building only one house can.
- When many people first estimate what they think it will cost them to build their home it appears that they will be able to save a lot of money. The problem is that there are many costs they forget to include and they end up going way over their estimates.
- There are some really good subcontractors in Goldsboro but there are also some really bad ones. Knowing which ones not to use saves both money and headaches.
- Time is money, especially when you're paying interest on a construction loan. Subcontractors always put their professional home builders ahead of individuals since the home builders are their main source of ongoing work. It usually takes individuals much longer to build their home than it would take a general contractor. That costs a lot of extra money when you're paying interest on a construction loan every month.